Working on Your Business as Well as in it
You may have heard the phrase ‘work on your business as well as in it’ but what does it actually mean?
We’re all busy and it’s easy to get bogged down in the day to day tasks and keep doing the things we love and are good at. Whilst many activities are necessary, they aren’t the ones which will help your business grow.
You will never stop working in your business but the rewards of working on it are a game changer.
If you’re feeling lost, overwhelmed and stressed in your business, it’s time to stop working in it, and start working on it.
Warning signs you’re working in your business
- When you’re trying to do everything yourself and find yourself pulled from one thing to another without much thought as to why you’re doing things
- You’re struggling to pay your bills and you feel desperate to find clients
- Time flies and before you know it another week/month/quarter has gone by in a flash
- It feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day and you’re constantly firefighting tasks
- You start projects but they never see the light of day
- You’re working crazy long hours and still not earning enough
- You don’t know where your business is going and are just drifting along, day to day
What is working on your business?
When you work on your business, your attention is around how to grow your business. It gives you the clarity to decide how to move forward and put new strategies into action. It will help you be more efficient in your business and work to your strengths. It’s about working smarter and not harder.
The benefits of working on your business
- You know the vision for your business, what you are doing and importantly, why you are doing it. If you want to know about creating a vision, check out this article.
- Working on your business will help you work smarter and not harder. This will help reduce your stress levels and simplify what you do.
- You will start to understand what is working so you can focus on that and let go of the stuff that isn’t working.
- Identify ways of streamlining your business, build your confidence and come up with fresh ideas to help it grow further.
How to start working on your business
Build time in your diary each week or month to work on your business. Even if you only do an hour or two, your business will thank you. Spending time thinking and preparing will help you to progress and grow your business.
Get away from your day to day work and look for inspiration in your community and from other businesses that you can adapt to use in yours.
Taking time out, it will help you identify what needs to be done as you will get an overview of your situation. Evaluate what you are doing to make sure everything actually makes a difference to your business. If not, stop doing them.
From your findings, plan the action you need to take rather than just keep doing what you’ve always done. Ask yourself:
- “What is in my control that will make the most difference to my business today?”
- “What action can I take that will move me towards this?”
Regardless of how amazing you are as a complementary practitioner or therapist; you won’t survive unless you work on your business.
Taking time to work on your business instead of just in it will be the best investment you make in your business. If you struggle with this, contact me for a chat to find out how I can help you.
Grow Your Complementary Practice, Your Way!
One size doesn't fit all and the best way to thrive as a practitioner, is to nurture a business based around your strengths and the people you help.
Learn how to grow your health and well-being business on your terms.
Sign up for my weekly emails and receive free resources, simple strategies, inspiration and motivation, news and updates straight to your inbox.