Paralyzed by Too Many Ideas?
Imagine when you start working on a new idea in your CAM business, it’s a little acorn.
You have to plant it and give it the right environment in order to germinate. You tend to it – feeding, watering and making sure it has light and warmth and it will grow a tiny amount each day. Progress is slow and you won’t notice any by watching it every morning, but when you look back after a while at where you started, you’ll see the difference.
If you take the acorn you were intending to nurture but forget about it, leaving it with no water, it will eventually die. It will fail to reach its potential of becoming a magnificent tree.
Maybe you got bored by tending the acorn or impatient at the slow progress it was making. Maybe you got side-tracked by a cherry stone that promised pretty flowers and tasty fruit.
Your ideas in your business are seeds and are the starting point of your success. Unfortunately, every time you start to nurture a new idea, it has the potential to distract and stop you from completing the idea you are already working on.
These ideas can affect any area of your business and especially your marketing. Constant idea generation is a sign of a creative mind, but you need to be able to pick one and run with it to be successful. If not, you can find yourself paralyzed by too many ideas.
Jumping around from one idea to another will have the same effect on your business as the unattended acorn. The difference between a practitioner who thrives and one who struggles is consistency and seeing an idea through to completion.
Calming the overwhelm
If you find yourself constantly caught up in a whirlwind of new ideas, follow these tips:
- Have an idea book or box where you capture all your great ideas and keep them safe. This will stop them from whirling around in your head and overwhelming you. You can then return to your ideas when you are ready to work on the next one.
- Recognise what stories you are telling yourself about the new ideas. They may be around why you need to stop what you’re doing and start the new one or something similar. Pause, take a breath and change your story to reinforce your vision for your current idea and your ability to see it through to completion.
- Celebrate each step you take towards completing your current project. It will help you to see the progress you are making and keep you motivated.
It may not be fun, and at times it will be hard work seeing an idea through to the finishing line. But consistency is where your power lies when it comes to taking something from an idea to reality. Consistency is how you will build strong foundations for your business. Consistency is how your marketing will start to gain traction and attract clients to your door.
Calm your idea generation down and start being consistent in your business nurturing one big idea at a time. Ultimately, learn to say ‘no’ to more ideas than you say ‘yes’ to. Remember, a ‘no, doesn’t have to be forever, just not right now.
If you struggle with idea overwhelm, contact me and find out how I can help you.
- What stories are you telling yourself?
- How to get stuff done
- How to stop feeling overwhelmed
- Bright shiny marketing syndrome
Grow Your Complementary Practice, Your Way!
One size doesn't fit all and the best way to thrive as a practitioner, is to nurture a business based around your strengths and the people you help.
Learn how to grow your health and well-being business on your terms.
Sign up for my weekly emails and receive free resources, simple strategies, inspiration and motivation, news and updates straight to your inbox.