The difference between traditionally published and self-published books
If you dream of writing a book for your therapy, coaching or holistic health business, you have two main options to getting it published: traditionally published or self-published.
With traditional publishing, you have a contract with a publisher to provide them with a manuscript of your book. They will then take on the job of getting it published and have the distribution network to sell it. The publisher will also own the rights to the book.
A self-published book is published by the author so they own the rights to it and receive all the royalties. Advancements in technology such as print on demand and eReaders have made this an attractive option for anyone wanting to write a book. No longer do you have to pay for thousands of copies to be printed and have to fulfil your own orders.
- 01:18 What’s a traditionally published book?
- 01:42 What’s a self-published book?
- 02:45 Traditional publishing – pros
- 04:46 Traditional publishing – cons
- 07:22 Self-publishing – pros
- 09:26 Self-publishing – cons
- 10:22 Why I went the traditional publishing route
- 12:28 Best self-publishing resources
- 13:02 Your Holistic Business Recipe pre-order
Blog post, show notes and links: helenharding.co.uk/podcast26