Podcast 90: How to Stop Content Creation OverwhelmNov 11, 2021
Content marketing includes your blog posts, videos, podcasts, live videos on social media, infographics, etc. Basically, anything you create which is then published and distributed online.
You know you should be creating content for your business. You know it’s going to help you get found online and ultimately find clients and thrive.
So why is it, you struggle to create content – consistently?
It’s more important now than ever to be findable online, especially if you want to sell your products and services online and reach a wider audience than your local area.
What is content overwhelm?
You see your friends and colleagues creating all sorts of content from amazing graphics on Pinterest, to in-depth articles on LinkedIn. Others are showing up live on Facebook, or they’ve been making reels on Instagram or being interviewed on podcasts or making their own videos.
You may stress about everything you ‘should’ be doing, and then sit staring at a blank screen waiting for inspiration. You can easily find yourself procrastinating and wasting hours scrolling through social media or getting busy in other ways.
You then feel like you’re failing and put more pressure on yourself, which quickly turns into overwhelm and you still end up doing nothing.
Pick your core content
Picking one type of content to focus on – this will give you the opportunity to learn how to do it properly and find your flow with it. You can always add to it later but at least you will have started to build an asset for your business.
Working to your strengths is a great place to start – if you do something you find easy, it will help you to be consistent and dare I say it, you may even enjoy the process! Check out blog and podcast 87 for ideas on the type of marketing that will suit you.
If you have a website, I suggest you pick something that will be adding content there – this is about building a library of information on your own platform. If you’re yet to create a website, you can start by creating content for your favourite social media platform.
Having a ready source of ideas will help you to be productive in the time you have available. Keep a list (in one place) of ideas for topics you can create content on. Here are a few places you can find inspiration:
- Questions you get asked
- Client stories
- The process of working with you
- Your discipline and approach
- Content from other practitioners - use these are for inspiration, you need to create your own take on them, or credit the source
- Inspirational quotes
- What’s happening in the news
- Awareness days
Have a simple process
Once you know what type of content you’re going to focus on, create a simple process for yourself so you know exactly what to do and when. Here are the things to include in yours:
- How often you will create your content
- What format it will be in
- A checklist for the steps required
- A simple template that helps you create your content from the idea
Book time in your diary
Consistency may feel boring, but it’s the difference between success and failure when it comes to creating your content. You’ll also find as you get consistent, the whole process will become easier and faster the more you do it.
Content isn’t something you can do as and when – you must make time for it in your schedule, or it won’t get done.
Book time in your diary for your marketing creation and make sure you protect it – that way, you will always have time for it.
Content Creation Made Simple
I’ve learnt how to speed up the process of creating content over the last 6-years of blogging and podcasting, and that’s what I’ll be sharing with you in my new masterclass ‘Content Creation Made Simple’.
If you feel overwhelmed when it comes to creating content, or you want to step up your content creation but you’re struggling to get going or to show up consistently – it’s for you!
What we’ll cover in the masterclass:
- Picking the right platform for you that works to your communication strengths.
- Where to find inspiration for your content.
- How to create a content outline fast.
- Working out your content topics for the next 12-weeks.
You’ll finish the session with your personalised plan ready to start creating regular, consistent content in 2022.
Your masterclass includes:
- A 90-minute live masterclass and access to the replay
- Comprehensive workbook including content drafting templates for you to complete during the session and afterwards
- A calendar of 2022 health and wellbeing awareness events to help with inspiration
There is a special early bird offer available until 5pm GMT on Friday 12th November 2021.
If you’re serious about making 2022 a success and you’re doing more business online, my masterclass is for you - find out more information here.
Podcast 90 show notes:
- (01:48) What is content overwhelm?
- (03:20) Picking your core content
- (05:05) Finding ideas and inspiration
- (07:23) Creating a simple process
- (09:04) Book time in your diary